Our Woman of the Week this week is Coco!! She isn’t super active on the page, BUT I see her sharing our memes around in other groups we are mutually in. Sharing posts is great for The Visiting Room because it exposes other women to our page and helps us grow. Her husband and her also have a super cute little girl!!!
1. What’s your name? Everyone calls me Coco.
2. What’s your relationship with the prison system? My heart is behind bars.
3. How long have you known/been involved with this person? Did you know them previous to incarceration or did you MWI? My husband and i have been together for 7 years out of the 14 years he’s been incarcerated. We didnt MWI he was my first love as a child. We lost contact over the years but destiny bought us back together as adults now we’re happliy married w/ a soon to be 1 year old baby girl.
4. How often do you see/ talk to your loved one? We speak mutiple times throughout the day, every single day. Now that we have our daughter b/c of the distance i dont go as much as i once used too. Before our daughter i would go visit every week. Now we visit every few weeks and stay in a hotel for the weekend for 2- 3 days to visit. I try to spend as much time as i can so we can have family time
5. What would be the #1 hardest thing you have dealt with while your loved one is serving time? Honestly, after so many years of doing this its become like sort of a routine. Some days are better than others. Especially now that we have a child that may be the hardest part. Him not actually being able to physically be here with us, but we make the best of it. And remind our selves this is only temporary.
6. How have support networks helped you through this? I think its pretty cool. I remember starting a fb group in 2011 now there’s soo many. I love how strong women like myself can come together and make something great out of this unfortunate circumstance.
7. What advice would you give to someone else in your position? Stay strong! Don’t give up! Keep your eyes on the prize! Have faith! Pray above all. This is only temporary it wont last forever.
8. What is your favorite thing about your loved one? Everything! His strength, his loyalty, his dedication to our family. People always ask how do i wait? But i always ask myself how does he do the time.
9. What is one thing you do to maintain a closeness in this relationship? Communication. In this circumstance communication is imperative without it any relationship will fall apart. And i say communication i mean in a healthy way. Respecting each others thoughts, being an attentive listener, catering to your partners needs.
10. What has been something positive that your loved one or you have gained from this experience? As for myself it really has showed me a strength i didn’t know i had.
11. And is there anything else you would like everyone to know? Just to remind other PW’s that they can get through this.
12. What’s something you like about The Visiting Room? What would you like to see more of? I like that it gives women like myself something to relate too.
13. What question would you like to ask the other ladies? No questions 🙂