Our Woman of the Week this week is Michelle McGriff. She is a super positive and helpful addition to our support network and we are so happy to have her!
1. What’s your name?
Michelle “Myi” McGriff (Baby Girl to him)
2. What’s your relationship with the prison system?
My homie who was my friend, handyman, became my boyfriend now my fiancé.
3. How long have you known/been involved with this person? Did you know them previous to incarceration or did you mwi?
I’ve been knowing him for over 25 years now. I dont see him as often as I like he is 5 hours away. When I do visit I request a special 4 hour visit for both Sat & Sun. When I get an “itch” I go tho. Since 9/26/15 I have been 7 times, holiday/bday related.
4. How often do you see/ talk to your loved one?
We talk on the phone more than we should at $5.63 for 20 minutes but hey, it is what it is. He has put us back on date night tho, which is about 3 to 4 times a week. 😢
5. What would be the #1 hardest thing you have dealt with while your loved one is serving time?
Nothing major on his end except waiting for parole which we did get, but my mother has been hospitalized several times and he is not here for moral support physically.
6. How have support networks helped you through this?
Being able to read and listen to others on their journey in our “unorthodox” lifestyle has given me more hope and compassion for a lot of things in life.
7. What advice would you give to someone else in your position?
The advice I would give to someone else is do u. Do not justify your feelings to anyone. Everyone has an opinion. If you are happy and your L.O. is helping in that area then enjoy. Do Not allow anyone to come for yours in a disrespectful way. YOLO.
8. What is your favorite thing about your loved one?
My favorite thing is his gap. Naw, it’s the way that he listens to me and his eagerness to evolve.
9. What is one thing you do to maintain a closeness in this relationship?
Communication, any form is the 1 thing for closeness.
10. What has been something positive that your loved one or you have gained from this experience?
Something positive has been that he came for me (apologized in a letter, we hadn’t been close for 2 years) so I could go to him. Took me a month to respond and the rest is history. Life is to short, express yourself. He has gotten closer to God. We constantly pray, in person, on the phone or in letters. He is ready to do what he should have done a long time ago.
11. And is there anything else you would like everyone to know?
He is coming home. Just waiting on TDCJ to give us a date. 😠. He is planning our wedding. 😉😆
12. What’s something you like about The Visiting Room? What would you like to see more of?
Love that The Visiting Room exists. I love that there is a community and I am not crazy for feeling how I do. I love the quotes, memes that the visiting room does. Thanks for the contest too. And now going live is kool. We all should meet up if we can sometime.
13. What question would you like to ask the other ladies?
If you weren’t with your L.O. before they were incarcerated why did u get with them now? Do you tell on yourself or have many secrets? If anyone ever ņeeded help, would you feel comfy asking “the community”, be it for themselves or L.O.? Have/did/do you keep your L.O. a secret, so you don’t have to get the looks or queetions?
I have had a blast answering these questions. Thank you again for the page and the nomination.